Featured

This signed Neil Armstrong photograph, listed on eBay, and based on an online opinion from PSA, came back as " LIKELY NOT AUTHENTIC " .This item comes with a Steven Zarelli COA.

It Was Steve Zarelli, who stated on AML that PSA has a " Hair Trigger" on the likely not authentic opinion. So - my next question is -who is right ?

Steve Zarelli is cuter than Steve Grad.I would never want to rub my sword against Steve Grad, but *** Pride Aside, Steve Zarelli just does not match up to Grad's experience, so I have to go with the opinion of PSA.

Had an Experience with Ebay?

Comments

Nutley, New Jersey, United States #860980

This is an obvious forgery-makes me wonder. Did Zarelli really authenticate this or did some dumdum print up a fake Zarelli COA to go with the forgery.

to Steve #863811

I am afraid that Mr. Zarelli is the dumdum

Another example of Steve Zarelli's Expertise !!!!!!!

Steve Zarelli has not impressed me. Usually if Steven Zarelli reviewed and gave it a COA then I give it greater scrutiny . He makes mistakes and collectors are going get discouraged upon discovering they have bad material in ,lets say 3-10 years.

to Gerry #847133

I share in your opinion

Zarelli's so-called expertise falls into question when examples like this one surface. I recommend buying from reputable dealers that offer a written guarantee and buy the best items you can afford from such dealers and don't waste $ 100 on a worthless COA and instead spend more on the item and buy from established dealers. Zarelli is not going to refund your money in 5-10 years, in fact the fine print on his COA's have a legal disclaimer.

Buy smart and do not waste money on third party COAs.

Exeter, Rhode Island, United States #831260

I agree that Mr Zarelli's expertize may have been grossly exaggerated and Grad has more experience but don't forget that Grad has some baggage as well. Grad worked closely alongside Bill Mastro for years and now Mastro has been indicted on fraud charges. I don't really care which one is "cuter" and the OP should remove that part of the post.

Washington, District Of Columbia, United States #827779

Beware of autograph sellers offering a "Certificate of Authenticity".They are absolutely worthless.

If you will fake and autograph you will fake a COA.

Most reputable autograph dealers will not offer COA's but instead offer a lifetime unconditional guarantee. If you are unhappy, simply return the item is the condition it was sold to you.

You will see sellers offering guarantees that run out in 7 days, 10 days, 30 days, etc. That should be unacceptable to you as a buyer.

Some sellers will state that a questionable signature cannot be returned without it being authenticated by an expert. They know that this is VERY expensive to do.

To get a signature authenticated will often run in to hundreds of dollars. These sellers know that no one will go to that trouble for an autograph that was bought for under that amount.

The Universal Autograph Collector's Club (UACC), one of the most - if not THE most respected autograph organizations in the world, have long renounced the use of COA's. Here are a few FAQ's straight from their web site:

Q: Are Certificates of Authenticity endorsed by the UACC? A: The UACC has been very vocal about the fact that Certificates of Authenticity (COA's for short) are totally worthless.

The UACC does not issue COA's and always encourgae collectors to get a signed receipt for merchandise, instead of a COA. Frankly, they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. A COA is only as good as the...

Q: I was looking at some items on Ebay, and I saw that an item came with a UACC Certificate of Authenticity. Is that possible? A: No it is not. The UACC does not issue "Certificates of Authenticity" The person selling that item should immediately be reported to Ebay.

Just use common sense when you purchase autographs. Ask the seller questions.

Ask about their return policy.Learn these things up front so you will not be disappointed when your signed item arrives to your doors.

The signature seems to be on part of the flag ! What about the Flag test ?

Utica, New York, United States #814027

PSA does not have a so-called hair trigger on autographs, they are correct most of the time unlike individuals who pass themselves off as experts and cause some collectors to destroy real autographs while causing other collectors to spend good money on fakes. I would trust PSA 100% while giving Steve Zarelli the golden raspberry because he does not have the same training or knowledge as Steve Grad and that is my opinion on the matter